Tuesday, October 13, 2009

US Open: Mr. Greg Diamond's Race Recap

 
 
Green Member: Greg Diamond
Event: Toyota US Open

Location: Big D

Class (yours): M 35-39

Results: 16th/97 (ouch)

Local Knowledge and Conditions: Crappy. Wind, rain, chilly temps. I know a few of our "dirty" athletes weren't affected by the cold on the bike, but it slapped me in the face. Saw plenty of people down on the roads, some abandoning completely from what I can only surmise were the dangerous conditions.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: As Ross and Brooks can attest, there was no time for a warm up. Barely enough time to set up your transition. I barely made it into my wetsuit and in line before they started my wave. The plan to shuttle athletes from T2 to T1 before the 7:30 am scheduled start was not firing on all cylinders. Enough said.

Psychology: Just gut it out and do my best.

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Expect the unexpected. Either learn to train in and adapt to any race condition, or don't race at all. I've always said that if you toe the line on race day, that says you are ready to race. No excuses. I have no excuses. I gave it everything I had on that particular day. Sometimes your best isn't the best on certain days. Move on and prepare for next season.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): Actually swim this off-season and get in some good mtb training.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): Endurance is always suspect, but my nutrition/hydration is never a question.

Something funny that happened: Jason Ross telling and acting out a story to Barry and me at bike check-in. I won't go into detail, but I'm laughing out loud as I'm typing. Hilarious!!
 
NOTE to the team: I know I didn't show it coming into to T2, but your cheers were a welcomed sound and it actually helped me out of T2. I was just numb from head to toe and fighting to get feeling back to my feet. Thanks for being there. Congrats to Ross for taking 2nd and to Barry for rounding out the podium in his age-group (38 min 10K - I want some of your running mojo and Jason's bike pwr). You guys are studs!

Glad To Be Here!

No comments: