Monday, November 9, 2009

Hartley Iron Muskoka 70.3 recap

Green Member:  Tim Hartley

Event: Ironman Muskoka 70.3

Location:  Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Class (yours):  Open
Results: Finished!  Time (adjusted) 5:36 - almost 45 minutes faster than the Prairieman 70.3 two years before.  Results:  Overall: 370/1301; Age Group: 63/196. 

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  Alison and I checked the place out and drove the bike/run course the day before the race.  Beautiful area with lots of beautiful hills, trees and lakes.  Otherwise, no local knowledge but were able to get an idea of the race course.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up:  I had no plan to get in the 65 degree water prior to the start.  But, I limbered up my arms and shoulders in exciting anticipation of the miles ahead. 
Psychology: I had absolute faith that Dawdy's coaching put me exactly where I needed to be in order to have a great race. 

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  There just aren't enough hills around Rockwall to even closely resemble the Muskoka hills.  Most of all I learned to ignore pain/cramping.  My thighs started to cramp about 300 yards into the run.  But, I managed to block it out and keep running.  (God is good!)
Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  Become a better swimmer - more efficient. 

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration):  I'm going to scale back training for a few months.  Then, I intend to focus on sprint and olympis racing in 2010.  Maybe an Ironman in 2011? 

Glad to be here! 

No comments: