Monday, November 30, 2009

SA Rock n Roll Marathon Race Report


Green Member: Frito Speedo

Event: San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon

Location:See above

Class (yours): F 35-39
Results: 3:58 PR, 34th/497 AG

Local Knowledge and Conditions: Raced the 08 inagural event. Relatively flat course. 30K athletes. Great race/cheer support. Hot/humid from a marathon racing perspective. 65 deg at start with 80% humidity. Temp climbed to 75.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: As always, waffle sandwich (leggo my eggo whole wheat waffles with pb&j). My personal one-man support crew (Bass Master Flash) did his thing race morning and made sure all I had to focus on was running. Arrived at the start line at 6:50 am for a 7:30 am gun time. Hit the port-a-potty line and realized the wait was going to be too long. Scoped out a row of bushes and worked on my quad squats.

Psychology: Hit play on the i-pod, relax the grimace & focus on the positive. Enjoy the experience and know that I've put in the time/effort. Finally, throw down P-Soap style!

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Realize pain is inevitable. Run my race according to my plan.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): "Someday" I would like to qualify for Boston.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): I know it sounds cliche, but I am in the best shape of my life.

Something funny that happened: Bathroom a la bushes incident takes top honors. Competitor's shirt that read: Race official. Do not pass.

Glad To Be Here!

No comments: