Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Frito Speedo Race Recap. Diamond at Lonestar Ironman 70.3

Green Member: Heather Diamond (aka Frito Speedo)

Event: 70.3 Texas (Lonestar Half IM)

Location:  Galveston

Class (yours): W 35-39

Results: 5:28 (11th/100 in age group)

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  Water was really rough.  Bike was fairly windy and run was hot, but manageable due to course support (cold sponges at EVERY aid station)!  Course support was really good!

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up:  I ate my favorite breakfast (waffle sandwich:  2 flax seed waffles, natural peanut butter, low sugar strawberry jelly, and sliced banana), got dressed and went down to transition.  Bike check was the night before, so not much to carry or set up in transition.  Then the waiting game started.  I was in the second to last wave.  So I just hung out watching other waves go before me.  Other times, this would have stressed me out, but this time I was not stressed at all!  Since it was so long from the start of the race to my wave, I did not get in the water before hand.  I figured I'd have plenty of time to warm up in a 1.2 mile swim!

Psychology: For the first time, I did not get the nervous stomach.  I think it was because I knew I was prepared!

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  I love INFINIT!  It got me through the bike without having to chew on a bunch of stuff.  Course support was great as well...

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  Swim was rough, but I just kept my head down and tried to keep moving.  I probably swam longer than I needed to, but on that day I don't know many who didn't.  Bike was strong, could be stronger.  Run was good... even comfortable.  Might could have been faster if I hurt a little, but I didn't want to run out of juice and my 8:12 pace was fine with me for my first half since 2005.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): I guess I already said it, but I love my Go Go Juice (Infinit).  My coach prepped me well for this event including the nutrition plan minute by minute!  Thanks Coach!

Something funny that happened: The run was a 4 loop course, so I got to see Greg and others out there multiple times.  At one of the aid stations, there was this lady dressed in a "BIG MOMMA" suit.  Those of you that were out there know what I'm talking about.  She was movin' and groovin' to this music and it was enough to make someone on their 12th mile crack a smile!

I'm so proud of all my teammates who competed!  You all are awesome!
A HUGE thanks go out to my wonderful bike caddy and husband (aka Bass Master Flash).  In my opinion it is harder watching a race than competing in it and this was a long race!  He got everything ready for me and even put a small picture of him and Abigail that said GO MOMMY GO! on my bike that I could look at during the ride.  Also for the extra hours of "kid duty" on Saturdays getting ready for this event.

No comments: