Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Heave Hoe!!! Brett Bartlett at CapTex... "I'll get you yet!"

Green Member: Brett Bartlett

Event: Curse of the CapTex - Olympic

Location: Austin

Class (yours): 35-39

Results: 20/81 AG

Local Knowledge and Conditions: This was my 1st Olympic last year.  I returned for redemption.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up:  My main goal was to beat last years time.  This should have been a piece of cake considering I had massive stomach/diaphragm cramping on the run last year.

Psychology: 10 minutes prior to the start while I was putting on my wetsuit the zipper broke.  In a panic I tried to fix it, but it wasn't happening.  I had the opportunity to freeze my tail off in what seemed to be a swim that would never finish.  (not sure the distance, but it had to be long...I heard + 400m??) On the bright side, I didn't have to mess with my wetsuit in T1.

The bike was what I expected, crowded.  I started off on the run looking forwarded to making up lost time from the swim only to have stomach cramps.  Are you kidding me, again!!!  After a few miles of trudging along and having a few dry heaves they finally subsided.  I was starting to get my stride on the 2nd lap and was able to hammer out a 6 mile last mile.  In accordance with the swim, the run was also long.

Not my best day, but there will be more!  Despite my wetsuit debacle, cramps and added swim and run distance I was able to beat last years time by 2 minutes.  I'll get you yet Cap Tex!!


Glad To Be Here!




No comments: