Monday, April 6, 2009

70.3 Weekend

Here is Peter Barnard's recap of the New Orleans Ironman 70.3 on April 5th.   We're going to get a quick recap from Michael at the Lonestar 70.3 soon... 

From Peter: 
Just awaiting flight back to Dallas and thought I'd give a quick race summary from yesterday. Well the forecast said it'd be warm and windy and sure enough it was. With the largest ever 70.3 the transition area was huge and the wait for the swim start long. Being in the 3rd to last group meant a 1 1/2 hr wait for begin. The water was about perfect, chilly and flat. I'd already decided on a nice easy swim and it was indeed, I came out in 37 mins (the swim turned out to be 1.5 miles and not 1.2) The first 32 or so miles of the bike was a breeze, flat and smooth roads averaging 23 mph and then we turned round!! All the way back was into a brutal head wind, well that just slowed everything down. Dd not feel to bad going into the run until the clouds moved and the sun really came out, body temp just shot up. Was forced into a run to each aid station mode, it was warm and humid and just energy sapping. I finished in 5:52 so not totally embarrassing but a sign
 of my lack of endurance base. My knee held up really well and everything feels fine today so I looking forward now to getting my endurance back up to par.

Peter

No comments: