Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Dam Bike Time Trial by Billy Self

Green Member: Billy Self

Event: The Dam Bike Time Trial

Location: Lynn Creek Park / lake Dam

Class (yours): M 25-29

Results: 4 in class; 20th overall - Bike Average: 25.3 mph (new PR)

Local Knowledge and Conditions: I know the dam. flat and fast. It was really HOT on that friday afternoon. So I prepared as much as possible to keep my core temperature down during warm up. I had an ice cooler with 2 towels that I switched out while on my trainer. Put them on my neck and back to keep me cool and out of the sun.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Oops.. see above.. I basically warmed up my heart rate until 15 minutes before my start. I was the 43 person to start. Everyone was leaving in 30 second splits.

Psychology: I wanted to keep and out in a reasonably medium gear, then build into the harder gears to have a momentum building first couple of miles. It was an 8 mile TT, and the first 2 miles were the hardest while trying to find a groove. Psychology after that...there is none... turn off brain and go.

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): I really need a more complete revolution in my pedaling. I was all over the place and spuratic efforts too. I need to train with more of a level "all out" effort.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): More effecient pedaling to not waste energy. I also jump around in my seat too much for a TT. "SIT DOWN AND HAMMER!"

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): Way up on hydration, felt good. nutrition too. the endurance...well, I wish I could have turned my brain off more often.

Something funny that happened: Passing my 30 second guy (same AG) with pace (he had an aero helmet and all the cool gear). Not so funny moment: the winner passed me like I was working a corner. His average was 29.1 while mine was 25.3 mph. whew... he was cookin'.

No comments: