Friday, September 18, 2009

Peter Barnard @ Blackland Triathlon Sprint

Green Member: Peter Barnard

Event: Blackland Triathlon

Location: Plano

Class (yours): M45-49

Results: 1st age group, 26th overall

Local Knowledge and Conditions: Did inaugural race last year

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Was a late start so actually rode the course and then swam 300 meters to warm up. Did some extra stretching to help loosen my knee.

Psychology: Just stay in control, pay attention to form.....don't over do it in the swim.

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Keep working being strong in each section swim, bike, run and transition........one second can be the difference between 1st and 2nd place.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): Can probably shave one or 2 seconds off transition but most important section is still bike. Need to develop more power. Am still working on my knee and have to thank Michael Dawdy for pointing me in the right direction, having run only once in the last 7 weeks my 5K time was evidence of a lack of training. Will be spending time pool running to help.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): In a sprint race I just make sure I've had breakfast as one hour is short enough not to be overly concerned with hydration issues.

Something funny that happened: Not really funny but I did get moved up a place or 2 in my division after I pointed out to the race director that the guys averaging 32 to 34 mph on the bike might have forgotten that there were two laps on the bike and not one.

No comments: