Monday, October 26, 2009

Monster 2 Triathlon: Scott Schuster


Green Member: Scott Schuster

Event: Monster 2

Location: Denton

Class (yours): 45-49

Results: 3rd AG

Local Knowledge and Conditions: The race was held at the new complex North of Denton where the Denton Crit races are held.  Highway 148 has the most awesome shoulder so I was hoping it would be used for the race and it was.  The run was along the North side of the football stadium.  The temperature dipped down into the upper 30's at race time but atleast it was sunny.  Full lane swimming in the new complex was really nice for passing.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Got in the open transition area early and got the spot I wanted.  Swam 150yds or so to get warmed up.  The water was warmer than usual which did not help with the transition to the bike.

Psychology: I was worried about being cold on the bike.  Lost sleep over the cold morning temperature.  Me and cold = no bueno

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Shoe covers made the biggest difference.  Even though it was cold (did I mention it was cold yet?) I did not put on any gear besides the shoe covers and took the time to put on socks which was a first.  Probably a good idea since several said running was tough since feet were numb (cause it was cold). 

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): Swimming and running skills still in need of help.  That is the focus for my off season.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): Some hot cocoa would have been nice.

Something funny that happened:  Their was a Frankenstein statue at the entrance to the transition (when first arriving).   Well, turns out he was not a statue and scared the brown out of me.  I almost threw my bike at him.  Sure woke me up and made me forget about the cold for a while.

Glad To Be Here!


No comments: