Monday, October 26, 2009

Austin Longhorn 70.3 Ironman : Billy Self

Green Member: Billy Self

Event: Austin Longhorn 70.3 Ironman

Location: Austin, Texas

Class (yours): AG Male 25-29

Results: Chip Time: 4:56. 164th Overall. 17th Age Group

Swim time: 29 - Bike time: 2:31 - Run time: 1:49

Local Knowledge and Conditions: On the day before the race I did a horrible job of planning my course recon. I got a little stressed out with all the required set up the day before
in two different places. I got in a short warm up in the lake, on the bike, and light jog pick-up. I started to drive the course with Cooepr, but circumstances just didn't work out that way, and we needed
to head back to the house we were staying at. In short, I knew only what others had told me about the bike course (the people that did drive it), and nothing about the run course.
Big mistake. I had in my head that the run was going to be flat the entire way. Not the case...It was CONSTANT rolling with long inclines and declines. Other conditions...it was
very good weather. The temp was 60 when we arrived and stayed in the 70's for the race. The wind was blowing about 15mph with some higher gusts for most of the day.
The water temperature was perfect and waves were minimal considering the breeze. Still able to site the shore/buoys well in the swim. The bike course turned out to be very tough,
with roller after roller, and one hill that caused dozens of people to get off their bikes. I never got out of the saddle, just put it into the small chain ring and spun as fast as I could.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Running shoes were at the other transition, so no jog to warm up. Did not get a chance to swim before the start, so that was out. Did my best to
warm up my arms and stretch my hips, etc. Strategy was to pin it on the swim, get rolling at a comfortably hard pace on the bike, and see if I could have anything left for the run.
I'll admit that I got too competitive with some of the guys in the 35-39 AG on the bike. Leap frog was played a lot.
Psychology: Trust my fitness, trust my fitness. I kept telling myself that this was it. Go for it and see what happens. Prayed for safety of
our teammates and that we could compete to the best of our ability. This was my A race for the year. No sense in holding back.

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Recon, Recon, Recon.... I think I would have saved more for the run had I realized just how hilly the run
course was. Mentally I felt just fine to tackle the run if it had been flat. I feel stupid because coach told me several times to do good recon
of the course.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): My transitions were good, smooth, and no hang ups. Big shout
out to the lady that pulled my wetsuit off in 0.00091 seconds. (It was good for me, was it good for you?) My swim time was slower than
I expected, but I felt like I put it all out there. I was pretty happy with my bike split, but it cost me on the run, I think. I still want to improve
my running form in all circumstances, but especially on the longer distance stuff.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): My training has gone so well this year and I couldn't be happier with how I was prepared for my A race.
The endurance was there, and I knew what I could do. I used Infinite Nutrition for the bike course, which was plenty. I used 2 gu packets at the
beginning of the run....then additional gu packet every 4 miles or so, plus had some pop-ice sticks (yum). My hydration has NEVER been this good. I only had 2 beers and No coffee in the
final 3 weeks prior to the rest with at least 140-150 ounces of fluid each day. I'm a believer in hydration now and want to continue that trend
especially since I need water to recover better. I'm so sore absolutely everywhere....EvErYwHeRe!

Something funny that happened: On mile 9 of the run I had a rumble in my stomach that I thank God above that it only resulted in a fart.

Our team tent was a fantastic hit. We had our friends and family at the tent cheering us on right in the middle of all the action.
I have to give a huge thank you to Katie, my super supportive wife, who drove me down to ATX, helped with all my meal prep, and drove
me back home....and happy to do it all. She was unbelievable all weekend. Thanks Katie!

I'm also proud of the whole team who competed. Cooper, Chase, Joe, and Trey all finished with great times.

Glad To Be Here!

No comments: