Friday, May 21, 2010

Brett Bartlett Race Recap

Green Member:  Brett Bartlett

Event: Texas Man - Sprint

Location: Lake Ray Roberts

Class (yours): 35-39

Results: 2nd AG

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  Great venue for a race.  I have completed a few races out there, so I was pretty familiar with everything.  Water is typically calm, and the run is flat.  The bike is mostly flat with a few rollers.  The road conditions seemed to be a little worse from what I remembered.  After talking with a few other folks, they agreed.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up:  The 70.3 folks entered the water first and I had an hour to kill before my wave started -- so I thought.  They ended up starting my wave early so no warm up.

Psychology: Have fun

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  Stay calm during the first part of the swim and try not to get anaerobic.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  My primary goal was to get an open water race with a wetsuit under my belt prior to CapTex.  All in all things went as expected, no major surprises.  As far as skills needing improvement, that would be all of them.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration):  Due to the discontinuance of Cytomax gel's, I have been trying out some new one's.  Had some slight stomach and diaphragm cramping on the run, but not to bad.

Something funny that happened: Prior to the race there was an announcement made over the PA system that was rather funny.  After checking with USAT and State Park officials, it was confirmed that the people from the nudist colony down the road would not be able to participate in the run portion nude.

Glad To Be Here!




No comments: