Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Brett Bartlett @ Blackland recap

Green Member: Brett Bartlett

Event: Blackland Tri

Location: Plano

Class (yours): 35-39

Results: 19th Overall, 5th AG

Local Knowledge and Conditions: 1st time racing this course.  Pool swim, nice 2 loop bike course with a few hills, but nothing to daunting. Run course was relatively flat all on paved roadways.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Plain and simple, hammer it.  Swam 300 for warm up.

Psychology: Put the pedal to the metal and have fun.

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Do not take anything for granted, pay attention even to the small stuff.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): Still the same..bike, bike and more bike.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): Everything was spot on, felt great.

Something funny that happened: It's a bird, it's a plane, nope...just Brett.  I gave a new meaning to a flying dismount.  Michael Stampley warned me before the race to beware of the speed bumps going and coming in/out of T1 & T2.  Crossing the mount line, I hopped on my trusty steed and spotted the speed bump, lifted up my front tire and bunny hopped over.  It was fun, remembered me of my old bmx days as a kid.  Racing back into T2 I completely forgot about the speed bump. After taking my feet out of my shoes and putting them on top of my cycling shoes I looked ahead to see that there was one last slight turn to the dismount line.  Then the next thing I knew, BAM!!!  I was flying through the air.  I went over the handlebars and did a front flip.  Luckily, I wasn't going very fast (which is something I have mastered on the bike) so I was only banged up a bit.  The worst bruise being that of my pride.  It took me the 1st mile on the run to gather myself
 and make sure I was in one piece.  I was shaken, but held on to finish.

Glad To Be Here!




No comments: