Sunday, October 17, 2010

Race Recap - Michael Dawdy. US Open - Male Elite... with the Big Boys!

Green Member: Michael Dawdy

 

Event: Toyota US Open

 

Location: The Harbor, Rockwall, TX

Class (yours): Elite

Results: 3rd

 

Local Knowledge and Conditions: New course, but was familiar with the roads of the course. Perfect weather

 

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: My focus and strategy for this race was to use it as a training race as part of my build for 70.3 World Championships. As far as a warm-up, aside from stretching there wasn't much of a warm-up since I was still fatigue from the Texas State Road Race.

Psychology: Just do the best I can.

 

Race Break Down -

Swim – Didn't have the swim I was wanting, but finished with a 26min split

Bike – the early hills of the bike course made me feel my tired legs but was able to get into a rhythm by the time I hit John L King Bypass. However, I was still not able push my normal gearing and was content with my 1:01 bike split.

Run – I actually surprised myself on the run, I didn't feel while on the bike that I would have note worthy run split but was pleasantly surprised how my legs responded after surviving the initial run up out the transition to record a 36min split.

 

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): The lesson learned on my current fitness I can't road race the day before a triathlon.

 

Something funny that happened: I was honored by USADA representative following the race requesting a urine sample. When I say honored I mean it apparently I was the only male amateur athlete tested along with all the pros. As I stood butt naked in bathroom filling a cup for my assigned USADA official in walked Matty Reed, Greg Bennett, and Filip Ospaly and their assigned official. I got to pee with the big boys!!!


No comments: