Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Two race recaps? Can you say overachiever? Mason Randall: US Open & Longhorn 70.3 Ironman



Green Member:  Mason Randall    

Event: Toyota Open  

Location: Rockwall

Class (yours): Male Local Elite

Results: 17th out of 19 in Elite

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  Very comfortable with the course and hill are where I thrive.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up:  Treated this race as a training day for Ironman Arizona.  My strategy that I am training for is solid in the water and on the bike and then strong on the run.  It worked well.  My warm up included joking around and pushing Jason Ross into the water at the start of the swim as he was starting his watch.  My bike strategy was to pedal a lot.  My bike was missing some parts so I was forced to race in the small ring.  Great leg workout!

Psychology:  Don't push too hard on the bike.  Hold back for a strong run.  

Race Break Down -
Swim –29:02
Bike –109:59
Run - 42:58 (was aiming for a sub 7 minute mile pace and barely hit it)

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): Make sure I have fun during the race

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  Everything is focused on Ironman Arizona.  Need to continue to train my nutrition and hydration.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration):  Training is going great for me to peak in Arizona

Something funny that happened: was yelled at by an old man during the race








Green Member:  Mason Randall

Event: Ironman Austin 70.3

Location: Austin Texas

Class (yours): 35-39

Results: Stuck to my strategic plan and had a great day.  Finished in 5 hours flat.

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  I loved this course because all of the hills.  The more inclines for me the better.  It turned out to be a warm and humid day.  Dumped ice cold water on my head every mile on the run.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: Strategy was to be calm in the water, solid on the bike, and strong on the run.  I was able to do all three.  Putting on my wetsuit was my warm up.  I always forget how much energy that takes me.  Got my heart rate up that way.  

Psychology: I love spending the whole race trying to catch the person in front of me.  I spent my bike ride picking people off on the hills and I spent my run holding my pace and catching as many people as I could.  That is motivating for me.  I enjoy passing them and cheering for them as I go by.

Race Break Down -
Swim –35:55
Bike –2:32:43  (average of 22)
Run - 1:44:49 (8 minute miles)

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  70.3 is plenty hard.  140.6 in a month is gonna be great.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  I have to work on holding to my plan and not pushing too hard on the bike.  I have to have a strong marathon in Arizona.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): I feel great.  The worst pain was the immediate drive back to Rockwall.  My body recovered very quickly and I am doing heavy training the day after.

Something funny that happened: I had my left goggle filled with water for 90% of the swim due to a punch to the face.  Made for a laughable swim.






No comments: