Monday, November 8, 2010

DRC Half race recap - Brett Bartlett

Green Member: Brett Bartlett

Event: DRC Half Marathon

Location: White Rock Lake

Class (yours): 30-34

Results: 1:33:32

Local Knowledge and Conditions: White Rock is home turf, where I do most of my running and cycling.  Very flat with a few hills through Lakewood.  The weather could not have been better.  Started a little brisk and warmed up as the race progressed, but never hot.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: I took the advice of a co-worker who is a former race winner:  Start like your running a hard 10k, slow it down and recover through Lakewood (hills) and once you get over the spillway start cranking it up and neg. split each mile by 5-10 sec. the rest of the way home.

Psychology: Stay relaxed and stick to the game plan.


Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  I typically run 5/10k's where you go all out.  The half has such a more mental component than I realized.  I definitely have a long way to go.

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): I was very happy with my overall performance.  I pr'd by 11:20 from last year. Future goals are to continue training and stay healthy/injury free.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): felt great

Something funny that happened: Around mile 10 a guy a few clicks back yells out at me, "hey man, would you cut it out with this neg. split %#@!, I'm trying to pass you"

Glad To Be Here!




No comments: