Friday, August 27, 2010

Peter Barnard - Race Re-Cap Tri-Rock Sprint

Green Member: Peter Barnard

Event: Tri-Rock

Location: Rockwall

Class (yours): M 45 - 49

Results: Disappointing

Local Knowledge and Conditions: I live here, nuff said.

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: I went through my regular sprint race routine, swam 500 metres to get loose, ran for about 15 minutes and spent about 10 minutes on the bike. Did some light stretching. For a sprint race I have a light breakfast, more coffee than anything else and take a gel right before the race start. I started off well, I actually got the 3rd person ahead of me right at the end of the swim and had the 13th fastest swim overall. Felt really good right up to the point where I ended up on my arse as I was running past the pool. Had a good T1 and having scoped out my main competition know I was getting on the bike in 1st place. I pushed the bike but was able to hold off my competition through the bike and T2. Had a good T2 and hit the run with the thought that all I needed to do was hold my pace and I'd be good. I was ok but not feeling good and once I turned off the feeder onto Industrial my heart rate zoomed up and ran into a wall. I hit the turn around and I basically ran/walked back to the finish line.

Psychology
: Just go and in future keep going

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned): More of a revelation than a lesson, I much prefer to race from the front and not try to play catch up

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement): Have strengthened my bike but need to work on getting my run threshold pace back up to scratch.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration):  Hydration/nutrition fine, need work on run endurance

Something funny that happened: Well I don't know about funny but it does seem that all of my age group's top local competitors decided to turn up. We placed 7 guys in the top 21, no slackers there! Not an excuse for my performance and if anything I feel more focused on taking them and beating them at the State Sprint Championships in September.

No comments: