Thursday, November 25, 2010

Mason Randall at Ironman Arizona! Great race.


 
Green Member:  Mason Randall

Event: Ironman Arizona

Location:  Tempe Arizona

Class (yours):  35-39

Results: 11:42:25  525 overall.  86/336 in age group.  

Local Knowledge and Conditions:  I knew the course well from racing there twice before.  Conditions were awesome!  Temp stayed between 55-62 the whole day.  Lots of fierce wind and some good rain.  

Pre-Race Strategy & Warm Up: I had been working hard on my fueling plan an it paid off.  I think it was spot on.  I took in about 1800 calories about 3 hours before the race and then 500 per hour on the bike and about 200 per hour on the run.  I felt rushed before the race so my warm up was not good and that hurt me.

Psychology: My game plan was to try to hit a one hour swim, 5 hour bike, and 3:40 run.  It didn't happen, but my race was still strong.  I started cramping in the swim and had my first ever experience of holding a kayak.  Frustrating!  

Race break down: 
Swim-1:20:27
T1-8
Bike-5:56
T2-7
Run-4:09

Lessons Learned (Or Re-Learned):  My legs cramped up bad about 40 minutes into the swim and that changed my whole race plan.  I learned that I needed to have better warmed up my legs before the race.  I had to drop my goals and push hard just to endure.  I learned that I can run an Ironman marathon with zero walking and that felt good

Future Goals (include skills executed well and skills needing improvement):  Be able to race an Ironman at what I am capable of.

Fitness (endurance, nutrition, hydration): Best shape of my life.

Something funny that happened: I feel bad about it just a little, but I was so determined to not walk any steps of the run that I pushed two people out of my way because they decided to go from a run to a walk just a step or two in front of me.  I was very apologetic when it happened, but I was not about to walk.





Glad To Be Here!

No comments: